For the written part:
- one mark out of 20 (see THE PROCESS * STEP 4 * AT THE BOTTOM OF THE PAGE).
- another mark out of 20 (see INTERMEDIARY TASK).
For the oral part:
- one mark out of 20 for each lawyer and for each witness on specific criteria (see list below).
- another mark out of 20 for everybody (see list below).
CRITERIA FOR THE LAWYERS ONLY (first mark out of 20)
7 criteria * one criterion = 28.5 points *=____________________/20
FIRST MARK OUT OF /20
John Stafford the Plaintiff's Lawyer
Thomas Coolpeper the Defendant's Lawyer
THE OPENING STATEMENT
Clear/concise description of the anticipated presentation.
ON DIRECT EXAMINATION,
lawyers asked questions that brought out key information for their side of the case and kept the witnesses from discussing irrelevancies.
lawyers exposed contradictions in testimonies and weakened the other's side case without becoming antagonistic.
IN QUESTIONING OF WITNESS,
lawyers properly phrased questions and demonstrated a clear understanding of trial procedures.
IN THE CLOSING STATEMENT,
the lawyer made an organized and well-reasoned presentation emphasizing the strengths of his or her side of the case and addressing the flaws exposed by the opposing lawyers.
UNDERSTANDING OF THE ISSUES AND LAW
in the case was demonstrated by the lawyers.
was demonstrated by lawyers in their ability to respond to witnesses and in the overall presentation of the case.
CRITERIA FOR EVERY WITNESS (first mark out of 20)
6 criteria * one criterion = 33.5 points *=____________________/20
Real Name of the WITNESS: __________________________________________________
were believable and witness testimony was convincing.
was evident in the manner witnesses handled questions posed.
for their side was given by witnesses based upon the record or what could be reasonably implied from the situation.
was demonstrated by witnesses in their responses to questions.
and courtesy were observed by team members, and voices were clear and distinct.
ALL TEAM MEMBERS
were actively involved in the presentation of the case.
CRITERIA FOR EVERYBODY (second mark out of 20)
9 criteria * one criterion = 11+ points *=____________________/20
SPOKEN ENGLISH: (efforts to)
- check the pronunciation of words
- check the stressing and phonetics of words
- respect the stressing and phonetics of sentences
- speak clearly and distinctly
- speak loudly enough so that everybody can hear
- reduce the speed of his/her speech when necessary
- face his/her audience
- smile/use humour
- take into account his/her public's reactions